Job Advertisement P 208/2022
The University of Rostock offers a diverse, varied and demanding job in a tradition-conscious, yet innovative, modern and family-friendly university in a lively city by the sea.
At the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Institute of Physics, working group of Statistical Physics, subject to allocation of funds, we are filling the following position at the earliest possible date on a temporary basis for a period of three years for the project "High-resolution inelastic x-ray scattering in warm dense matter":
Research Assistant (m/f/d)
EG 13 TV-L, part-time employment, 20 hours/week, limited, qualification position
The project is funded by the German Science Foundation DFG in cooperation with European XFEL GmbH Schenefeld near Hamburg.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- research in the field of inelastic x-ray scattering in warm dense matter with the aim of scientific qualification (doctorate)
- calculation of dynamic properties of warm dense matter, in particular the dynamic ion-ion structure factor of Al and Fe with MD simulations using density functional theory (DFT-MD)
- applying of machine-learning tools to study the dynamic properties of warm dense matter in the hydrodynamic limit by large-scale and data-driven MD simulations
- comparison of the theoretical results with high-resolution inelastic scattering experiments performed at European XFEL and elsewhere
- derivation of material properties like speed of sound and ionic thermal conductivity in the hydrodynamic limit for conditions as found in the core of Earth and super-Earths
- publishing of research results
- completed university degree (state examination, diploma, master's degree or comparable degree) in Theoretical Physics or similar subjects with at least good results
- good knowledge of quantum theory, computational physics and programming languages like C and Phyton
- experience with ab initio simulations and/or DFT and/or machine-learning tools is welcome
- experience with Unix systems is desirable
- confident knowledge of the English language, both written and spoken
- willingness to work seriously and with commitment on a project of one's own scientific qualification
- very good ability to work on schedule, communication skills for presenting research results and ability to work in a team
- employment relationship in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service of the Federal States (TV-L) with the employer Land Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, represented by the University of Rostock
- remuneration with salary group 13 if personal and collective agreement requirements are met
- an individual assignment of the experience level according to the collective agreement, taking into account your previous professional experience
- 30 days annual vacation and annual special payment; additional pension plan (VBL)
- flexible working hours
- various offers for health promotion and work-life balance, e.g. through our family office or our URgesund health management system
- multitude of continuing education opportunities, including language courses, IT courses, seminars for professional development
- participation in the extensive range of university sports activities
University of Rostock as an employer
Equal opportunities are important to us. We welcome applications from suitable severely disabled persons or persons of equal status. We aim to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching and therefore encourage relevantly qualified women to apply. We welcome applications from people of other nationalities or with a migration background.
The temporal limitation of the employment relationship is based on § 2 (1) WissZeitVG.
If desired, the staff council can be consulted during the selection process. Please enclose an informal request for this with your application documents.
We look forward to receiving your online application with complete, informative documents (cover letter, resume, diploma with indication of final grade) by 11.12.2022 at the latest. Only applications received via our application portal and containing all requested documents will be considered.
Unfortunately, application and travel costs cannot be covered by the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
For further information please contact: